8 times you can't say 'no' to your kids
Jun 01, 2017 06:10AM
"Can I have candy for breakfast?" "No." "Can I have a pony?" "No." "Can I have $200?" "No." "Can I give my brother a haircut?" "No." "Can I put baby in a corner?" "No." (Nobody puts baby in a corner.)
You get the idea. Sometimes we get so conditioned to telling our kids "no" that we find ourselves shocked when they actually ask us something that we can say "yes" to. It doesn't happen often, but there are occasionally times when it's hard to say "no" to your kids.
Here are a few of those times:
1. "Can I have some more broccoli?" Sometimes it's hard to get the kids to eat their vegetables. So, when they ask if they can have more of a vegetable, it's almost impossible to say "no."
2. "Can you read me a book?" We want smart kids. We want to instill in them a love of reading at a young age. So, when they ask if you can read them a book, it's hard to say "no." (Even if you've read that very book to them 14 times in a row!)
3. "Can I have a bath?" If you have a child who volunteers to get and/or stay clean, by all means encourage that behavior!
4. "Can I please have (fill in the blank)?" When your child is first learning how to talk, and they ask for something saying "please" (or "pwease"), how can you say "no?" You can't.
5. "Can you kiss it better?" Your child is in pain. They have an owie, but just one kiss from you can take away all their pain and make them feel better. Go ahead and pucker up!
6. "I need to go potty!" Every parent has had to clean up a child who has pee-peed or poo-pooed their pants. No parent ever wants to have to do that again. A child who says "I need to go potty" has an enormous amount of power.
7. "I need a hug." Hugs. Cuddles. Nuggles. These are all good things that should not be denied.
8. "Talk on the phone?" This one can go both ways. If you are on the phone with your parents and your child wants to talk to Grammy or PopPop, you let them. Also, if a child has a toy phone and wants you to talk on it, you will do so.
Because there are times when you just can't say "no" to your kids.
There’s new funny-ish fun twice a week at slowjoe40.com.