Skip to main content

Veteran re-awarded bronze star after his was stolen

Sep 07, 2018 08:24AM
By Kjirstin Youngberg
An American hero was honored with a Bronze Star Medal at a ceremony at the Bennion Veteran's Home in Payson. His bronze star was stolen in a Mona home burglary, along with his Purple Heart. The Purple Heart was later recovered by police.

bronze star

PFC Edward Newton, on 16 October 1969, earned the Bronze Star Medal with a "V" for Valor for gallantry in action while with the 82nd Airborne in Binh Duong province, Vietnam. PFC Newton and his division received sudden, direct enemy fire. A medic was shot, and another medic came to his aid, but the IV containing life-sustaining fluid was unable to go high enough due to enemy fire. PFC Newton picked up the bottle and held it aloft, continuing to hold it even after sustaining a rifle shot to his shoulder. He then got his rifle and covered others, allowing them to get to safety.

bronze star

The Newton family has lived and farmed in Mona, Utah for many generations. When Ed returned from Vietnam in 1971 "fresh out of the army, I snatched him right up," said Brenda, his wife of 47 years. "He got out in March, and we were married the 2nd of April." Prior to his US Army service, Ed served a two-year mission to the North Atlantic States. Ed worked at the Tooele Army Depot as a crane operator and also worked at Nephi Sandstone as a landscaper. He has now retired to the family farm in Mona. Ed and Brenda have five children, all of whom live in Mona with their children and grandchildren.

Military Citation








NEWTON, EDWARD R, PFC, Company B 1/505th Infantry Awarded:        The Bronze Star Medal With “V” Device Site Action:     16 October 1969 Theater:          Republic of Vietnam Reason:           For heroism in ground combat in the Republic of Vietnam on 16 October 1969.              

PFC Newton distinguished himself by gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in Binh Duong Province in the Republic of Vietnam on 16 October 1969 while serving as a rifleman in Company B, 1st Battalion, 505th Infantry, 3rd brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, APO San Francisco 96228. While engaged in a search operation, PFC Newton and his comrades came under sudden direct enemy fire. As he took cover and began to return fire, PFC Newton saw his platoon leader and medic fall under intense enemy fire. As another medic approached the fallen menPFC Newton ran forward and began to place effective fire on the enemy position enabling the medic to administer aid with an albumin bottle. However, the enemy fire prevented the medic from elevating the bottle sufficiently to benefit the wounded. Without regard for his own safety, PFC Newton ran back to the wounded and, while standing in a hail of enemy bullets, held the albumin bottle aloft. He immediately suffered a grievous neck wound and, although forced to his knees, refused to lower the bottle of the lifesaving fluid. When the second medic was wounded and extrication of all the wounded was feasible, PFC Newton picked up his rifle and covered the retreat of his comrades. Although in excruciating pain himself, PFC Newton refused aid as he withdrew to safety, demanding the aid be given to others. He moved under his own power to the waiting medevac helicopter. PFC Newton’s courage, devotion to duty and concern for his fellow soldiers were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and truly reflect the greatest credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Authority:          By direction of the President of the United States under the provisions of Executive Order 11046